Friday, September 24, 2010

2. My 10 Questions

1. If I lose inspiration and go online and use someone else’s design, more than I intended to. Will I be safe from a lawsuit if I changed it enough so it isn’t exactly the same? What recourse do I have if the roles are reversed, if my work is the work being stolen?

* No, no one is really safe in this kind of situations, it really depends on how you changed the design. If the roles are reversed, you can sue for injuction and damages.

2. If I’m asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement can I use the skills that I developed in the company to earn money through free lance work?

*It actually depends on wording of nondisclosure agreement.

3. As a designer working for an employer can part of a design, from that company, be considered as a trade secret that I’m prohibited from using any work that was not solicited from within the firm?

* It depends on what the agreement does. You still can be sue depending on what their rules are and what you signed. They have the right to do so.

4. If I come up with an original idea during employment with a company who owns the rights to it? Myself or the company? Is there any way I can make it my own to sell to others?

* Again, It depends on what the agreement says.

5. How much do you charge to read a contract and advise/interpret it for me?

* I don't charge

6. Can I protect multiple intellectual properties under one single copyright? Is it better to do this or to copyright each individual component?

*Yes, I would suggest to copyright each individual component

7. What rights do I retain when using company software?

* Depends on the software, if you need to buy the software in regular price then thats what you have to do. No downloading free over the internet.

8. If I create a design, but am not paid for it, what recourse do I have?

* Again, you can sue for injuction and damages.

9. If someone steals my intellectual property how do I establish ownership?

* Copyright

10. If my employer gives me specific guidelines for a design, but those guidelines infringe on another IP, am I liable for it?

* Possibly

No comments:

Post a Comment