Friday, September 24, 2010

1. Legal Authority

I was not thrilled about the final project for contracts and negotiation. In all my finals, I think this project bothered me the most. Being a shy person, I really don't like calling or asking questions especially to lawyers. I tend to get nervous and forget what to say when talking to people, so doing this project was really annoying for me. The first week of doing this project, I was absent so I was behind finding lawyers. I tried to catch up the following week only to find out that this project will not be easy for me. I called a bunch of lawyers and almost all of them were asking me to pay if I needed to talk to them. They were asking for payment and someone even told me they charge $100+ if I schedule an appointment. Some of the lawyers secretary were not friendly at all and I felt like they just want to hang up if I tell them it is for a school project. After several attempts, I got tired of it and waited for a couple of days to do the project again, but then I gave birth the following week and I didn't want to do anything except to sleep. I was so lazy I forgot all about the project. Reality finally came to me when I realized I have a couple more days to do the project and it was really time for me to find a lawyer immediately or I'll fail the class. I drove around Charleston area and found a bunch of buildings for lawyers. After several tries I finally met Herbert Sachs, a Private Attorny at Law.

My experience was very exciting. When I entered the building, I was immediately greeted by his secretary. He asked me what I needed and immediately point me to the direction of attorny Herbert. I immediately introduced myself and told the attorny about the school project I need to finish. I asked him how much he charge and he immediately smiled and told me to sit down. He was a down to earth person which surprised me knowing how lawyers are. He asked me a bunch of questions regarding school and my artworks that made me feel like he was interested in getting to know me. His actions made me feel comfortable and calmed me down because I was so nervous. He was nice enough to not charge me and I was very thankful for his time even though he was really busy. Answering my questions, he was always to the point and didn't waste time. He was nice enough to answer my questions and this change my perspective in how I look at lawyers. At the beginning I hated this project but at the end, I learned a lot and was glad I actually finished it.

No comments:

Post a Comment